Book Group Guide
- Who do you consider the novel’s protagonist, Steve or Neena? Why?
- What were your initial impressions of Steve Barber? Did your initial impressions evolve throughout the book?
- What political points was Broad trying to make with this book?
- What role did the military have in the novel? Was it positive or negative? Why or why not. How would the book have changed if the American military had acted differently?
- Discuss the character Neena. Is she compelling? Credible? Why or why not?
- Discuss the role of David Alon in the novel. Is he a “typical” villain? Why or why not?
- Discuss the role of the Iranians in the novel. How did they impact the plot of the book?
- Discuss your impression of Israel after reading the novel? How did you feel about the country before the book and how do you feel now? Do you understand how the Israelis might feel strongly about their country? Why or why not?
- In the book Steve and Neena develop a relationship. Was their relationship credible?
- Would you expect it to continue in the future? Do they share common values? Why or why not?
- Discuss the ending. Was it satisfying to you? Why or why not?